Standing Beside You Throughout Your Divorce
Ending a marriage is a complicated matter. There are many moving parts and endless decisions, all while you must process a range of emotions. Roz Bateman Smith, Attorney at Law, in Santa Rosa provides steady guidance through the divorce process, looking out for your interests while helping you and your family make a big transition.
Roz Bateman Smith combines her background working for more than 20 years in the courts of Sonoma County with nearly a decade of experience as an attorney practicing exclusively in family law matters to provide efficient and effective legal guidance. She is a tough negotiator and accomplished trial lawyer with a knack for practical solutions in high-asset and high-conflict divorce cases.
Let’s Define The Issues
Whether you are considering divorce or the decision is already made, there are many matters to address. Ms. Bateman Smith takes the time to listen to you and then help you form a plan that reflects your goals and interests. She handles all aspects of contested and uncontested divorce, as well as legal separations, including:
- Dividing the marital estate – California’s community property law requires an even split of assets and debts We assist with setting priorities and creative negotiations to reach a property settlement.
- Complex property division – Many clients (or their spouses) are business owners, professionals, executives and other high earners. We can address business valuations, real estate, deferred compensation and other complicating factors.
- Same-sex divorce – Although California courts recognize same-sex marriage, there may be unique challenges relating to child custody, federal benefits and other issues.
- Gray divorce – Divorce after the age of 50 raises different issues, from dividing the retirement nest egg to adjusting to one income after many years of marriage.
- Military divorce – We represent service members and civilian spouses, and we are familiar with military pension division and legal protections during deployment.
- Alimony – Spousal support may be granted as reimbursement for career sacrifices or to allow a spouse to establish financial independence. We can gauge whether alimony is likely to be awarded.
- Child support – We make sure the court has accurate income information, and we handle high-income cases that exceed the child support guidelines.
- Domestic violence – We help people who have experienced marital abuse or threats of violence to obtain and enforce protection orders.
If you have children, those issues may be the central focus of your divorce. We understand how emotional custody and co-parenting issues can be. We can provide the grounded guidance you need to work through all family law matters that arise during the divorce proceedings with compassion for your emotional strain and a focus on your family’s best interests.
Let’s Find The Solutions
Divorce is hard enough without the acrimony and expense of a court battle. We encourage clients to explore mediation or collaborative divorce as an alternative to litigation. In mediation, a third-party facilitator helps you find common ground for a settlement. In collaborative law, you each have attorneys, but all parties agree in writing not to go court. Both forums create the environment for productive negotiations rather than trying to “win” your divorce.
Roz Bateman Smith provides calm and compassionate guidance and legal advice to resolve even high-conflict situations.
We do recognize that litigation is not always avoidable. The other party may not be willing to negotiate in good faith, or you may simply need a court to rule on a complex matter or impasse. Ms. Bateman Smith will vigorously defend your interests in courtroom proceedings.
Contact A Compassionate Advocate For Your Divorce Rights
Roz Bateman Smith, Attorney at Law, welcomes all people, regardless of age, race, gender or sexual preference. Based in Santa Rosa, we take divorce cases in Sonoma, Napa, Marin, Lake and Mendocino counties. Ms. Bateman Smith offers a free initial consultation. Call 707-832-4474 or contact us online to schedule a time.
Se habla español.